Thursday, 19 April 2007

Hornchurch Round Table Dinner

Last night, I was delighted to be invited along by my friend Danny Gearing to the Hornchurch Round Table AGM (Part 2)! This was a great opportunity to hear about the great work that this organisation does, and to meet with old friends and new. I was surpised how many local people that attended I already knew (including 2 instructing solitictors and a witness from a case I did).

The Round Table offers the chance for young men to get involved locally, network, and to offer something back to their community. This organisation raises approximately £10,000 each year for local causes, and does a fantastic job in working with local charities and community groups. My fondest memory of the Hornchurch Round Table is as a young child being woken up to see Santa in the run up to Christmas, with their local Santa sleighs.

I was not the only Conservative there, and was delighted to see that they are also keen to engage with local politicians as James Brokenshire MP, and The Mayor of Havering, Cllr Wendy Brice-Thompson were special guests. In fact one speaker even took to comparing the organisation to the Conservative party, and the renewal process that has been on-going for us both over the last year.

The organisation covers all of Hornchurch and the surrounding areas (including Rainham, Elm Park, and South Hornchurch).

If I was the candidate for Dagenham and Rainham, I would continue to meet with such organisations and support their aims and objectives. Working with and in the local community is absolutely vital to ensure a cohesive and happy society.

No comments: